Friday, August 10, 2012

French Fridays Double Header-Warm Scallop Salad and Tomato Cheese Tartlets


My puffy Tomato-Cheese Tartlets
I played a little bit of catch up this week with a couple of the last recipes for French Fridays.  Last week's recipe was Tomato-Cheese Tartlets, a super simple combination of puff pastry, pesto, in my case goat cheese, tomatoes, basil, olive oil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.  I have used puff pastry in the past, but had forgotten how versatile it can be.  You can make a really quick, beautiful entree or dessert in no time if you remember to keep some on hand in your freezer.  For this recipe, I kind of strayed from the directions a bit.  I was supposed to cut the pastry in to circles and bake them under a baking sheet so that they would get really crisp and not puff up.  Where's the point in that?  Puff pastry is so delicious, light and airy...I just felt the need to rebel.  The result was a little difficult to eat, so I understood the point, but they still turned out lovely and really delicious.  I used a store-bought pesto and goat cheese, but many of my fellow Dorista's used tapenade as a base and mozzarella.  Really, the variations are endless, and I could easily see these a little mini tartlets if you cut the puff pastry with a biscuit cutter and followed the anti-puff directions for baking,  I definitely plan on trying this soon.

Warm Scallop Salad with Corn, Tomatoes and Nectarines
This week's recipe for Warm Scallop Salad was seafood, so you know I did not go there myself, but the hubby got to have his favorite scallops in a delicous salad of fresh corn, tomatoes, with a super light lime dressing and savory basil, and a nicely surprising grilled nectarine on the side.  I had my salad with grilled chicken, and it was absolutely delicious.  I loved the crunchy sweet corn with the tangy and slightly spicy lime vinaigrette.  Grilling was a snap (literally 3 minutes to done on the scallops) and we both had a perfect Sunday evening dinner.   

I'm excited because this weekend I am taking my first cooking class at Sur La Table learning to make macarons.  I will definitely be posting about the experience, so stay tuned.  Next up for FFwD, we have Cafe Style Grated Carrot Salad.  We'll see.... 


9 comments:

  1. We thought chicken would be good in the salad. I haven't made the tomato tarts yet so I need to get busy! Good luck and fun with your cooking class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken sounds like a great sub for the salad. I can relate to your feelings about the tartlet recipe, too, as I was a little perturbed at the idea of "unpuffing" puff pastry. We really enjoyed the result, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - I didn't get the idea of turning my puff pastry into a cracker either. I took the sheet off half way through - and ended up with a flat puff...
    Your tarts and salad look complementary to each other. Good call on the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dammit, its called "puff pastry" for a reason! lol. I played along for Dorie but with so many other good options for this that don't involve denying one's identity I hardly see the reason for it now. "Pray the puff away" doesn't really work for me. Have fun with the macarons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chicken sounds great in this salad:) The salad looks delicious! I hope you enjoy your cooking class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both look delicious and are making me super hungry since I haven't had lunch yet! If only I could eat scallops every day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the Tomato-Cheese Tartlets with my 9-year-old granddaughter who could NOT see the point of using Puff Pastry if you were not going to let it puff. Now I can tell her that you said it was very hard to eat if the Puff wasn't de-Puffed. Thank you for answering that question. I'm not a scallop lover, a 30-year reaction to food poisoning. ( I carry a grudge a long time. ) But, I still had fun - I made salt. I am looking forward to your macaroon report.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked both of these too. Glad to know how hard it is to eat puffy tartlets :) Have fun with the macarons!

    ReplyDelete