Friday, May 25, 2012

FFWD: Lyonnaise Garlic and Herb Cheese


Lyonnaise Garlic and Herb Cheese
I have been having a really hard time keeping up with my postings.  To you it seems like I may have given up on my kitchen adventures, but there have been many over the past several weeks I have just not had the time to write about.  Working crazy hours right now and weekends have been very full.  I even missed last week's posting for a dish I actually had the time to make, though in my defense I was on vacation.  So that brings us to this week and a super simple recipe, thank goodness, that did not take a day and a half to make.  Not a criticism, I'm just sayin'.....

So, this cheese spread is the type of appetizer I enjoy serving, because you almost can't go wrong.  Most party guests love cheese, garlic and herbs, so herein is the perfect appetizer solution.   I used store-bought ricotta because I was unable to locate fromage blanc and, frankly, did not want to go to the trouble of making my own.  I think if I had to make this again I would use a combo of goat cheese and ricotta (if I still cannot find the fromage blanc).  Even with the vinegar and the salt this seemed to cry out for a tangy something or other.  I am taking this to a potluck lunch at work today, so we will see other's reactions.  From tasting this morning (made last night), I was surprised at how strongly the tarragon flavored the cheese.  I would have expected the garlic and shallots to overpower it, but the flavors all blended rather harmoniously. 

I hope you all have a wonderful long weekend with friends and/or family.  Please take a moment to remember the fallen soldiers who gave their lives defending the freedoms we all enjoy this Memorial Day.  Until next time, bon apetit!

14 comments:

  1. I was very surprised by how well this went over with the peeps.
    Tarragon is a funny little herb - it has a much louder voice than you would think...
    Hope your spread goes over well & have a safe holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, mixing in goat cheese sounds like a fabulous idea! Happy Memorial Day to you, as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, as much as I liked it, the goat cheese does sound good. Just a little extra kick,
    so to speak. Yours looks great and I'm sure it will go over well. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... I thought it needed way more of everything... but youre right, pretty much it can't go wrong! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. next time I will try the goat cheese:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mixture could have definitely benefited from a smoother cheese in addition to the ricotta. I love goat cheese and bet it would be amazing with the ricotta and aromatics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who wouldn't want to dig into that at work?! I only have a little bit of tarragon that I could snip from my plant, so it didn't overwhelm my dip. I'm glad you were able to prepare this week's recipe and I hope things slow down a little for you at work. Have a wonderful Memorial weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, Scott. This was good, but could have been better. I like the idea of using goat cheese.

    Have a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cheese looks delicious. I'm sure your friends will enjoy it. I used farmer's cheese, and herbs from the garden (so no tarragon, I'm afraid), but I did like the way the flavors blended when allowed to mingle overnight!

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is perfect for a potluck. I hope it went over well. I think adding some goat cheese is a great idea. I liked it as is, but a little tang never hurt anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think a combo of ricotta and goat cheese is a good idea. I also agree, Scott, that this herb cheese spread needs to be taken up a notch or two in flavoring. I think it's a good spread that could be used in many different ways so I want to tinker with it a bit. I hope it was a hit at the PotLuck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I fully intend to catch up and do this one. Whats not to like? And yes, goat cheese makes everything better. Everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is SUCH a late comment but I wanted to send a "hi" anyway. I am also just barely keeping up with the FFWD thing but with my trusty sidekick (aka "Nana") I have a hand at keeping it going. Which is code for she often makes the stuff, or does a boatload of comments or whatever...Just wanted to say how much we enjoy your posts, whenever you can get to them. The summer is ramping up to be busy so enjoy it yourself and we will look for you on French Fridays :)

    ReplyDelete