Saturday, April 21, 2012

French Fridays with Dorie: Coconut Friands

Coconut Friands...giant sized.
Two weeks after my surgery and all is well.  Almost fully healed!  I did manage to bake these lovely little coconut cakes during recuperation, but failed to write this post in a timely manner.  It's certainly not because these weren't delicious.  The hardest part of this recipe (which is insanely easy) was locating unsweetened coconut, but once found I was off and baking.  I actually misread the recipe and greased a regular size muffin tin instead of a mini, and only realized it when I only got 8 cavities filled.  Oh well, go big or go home I always say. 

I am not a coconut fan, honestly,  but we both loved these.  Something about the vanilla-y, coconutty, buttery goodness.  I enhanced the recipe a little by adding some lemon zest as well.  Served with a little lemon curd, these were amazing, and even a little fancy!  We ate all of them by the next day and I had to make another batch last night.  This time I made them without the baking cups and the edges got browned and crispy, making them even more delightful.  Oh, Dorie, I am never going to lose that 10 pounds before my friends' wedding this Summer at this rate! 

Anyway, mes amis, this week's recipe is lamb stew.  I will do my best to make it, but I am headed to NY late this week for a work event, so I may not get to it before Friday.  Hope you all have an amazing week.  Bon apétit!

4 comments:

  1. So good of you to give this a go even though you aren't wild about coconut. I didn't even try (my sister did it for me). I knew the friands would go to waste. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemon curd - mmmmm - now, you're talking my language.
    Fun muffin friands :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a wonderful combination with the lemon curd. We enjoyed them too,
    they were so simple to prepare. Lovely photo, and delicious looking friands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photo is so pretty. Great idea to add the lemon zest and serving it with lemon curd must have been so delicious.

    ReplyDelete