Friday, March 30, 2012

French Fridays with Dorie: Crab & Grapefruit Salad

Refreshing Crab & Grapefruit Salad

We have had a beautiful, early warm spring here in the normally frozen tundra known as Chicagoland, so this week's recipe was a pleasant and refreshing accompaniment to a breezy Sunday afternoon lunch on the sun porch.  I love being a member of French Fridays because things I would not normally seek out, like crab (as I have said before, not much of a seafood fan), end up being such pleasant surprises.  This recipe was no exception.  Incredibly simple, and undeniably elegant, this little salad will be on my summer menus for sure.  I was able to find super chunky and delicious lump crab at a nearby specialty market.  The dressing of olive oil, grapefruit and lemon juices was perfect, but the mint is the real standout here,  I was surprised a bit by this ingredient, because I normally associate mint with desserts, but it adds so much to the delicate flavor of the salad. 

I also used this opportunity to catch up on the Cheese Souffle, with what I thought was a great result.  To me, though, cheese souffle sounds a lot better, or at least more exotic, than it really is.  It is essentially really cheesy eggs.  Delicious, yes, but rather simple nonetheless. 

Apologies, dear readers, for the late and rather short post, but it has been an extremely busy week, and this little blogger is tuckered out.  Until next week (asparagus and bacon, oh my!), bon apétit!

7 comments:

  1. This has been a most bizarre spring/ winter up here in this part of the world that is usually cloaked in sub-freezing temperatures for five months out of the year.
    This was a delightfully refreshing salad - and I must agree with you on the souffle. Much more elegant in concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your salad certainly looks colorful and tempting! I didn't have any mint but since you said it added a certain interest to the salad's flavor profile, I would like to try this again while sticking closer to Dorie's recipe next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm they both look so good.... Mmm I have yet to try a good soufflé and yours looks amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ended up using cilantro instead of mint because it was what I had, but I'm glad to know the mint works well for next time. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of your recipes look wonderfully delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fabulous, both dishes. Glad to hear you will make the crab dish again. Glad you had the weather to go with the salad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your crab salad looks gorgeous in your blue and white dishes!! And it sure was a winner :)

    ReplyDelete