Friday, March 23, 2012

French Fridays with Dorie: Cocoa Sables

Cocoa Sables as an Ice Cream Sandwich-even more delicious

It has been too long, mes amis,  and I have missed writing these past two weeks.  Unfortunately I unable to make one of my favorite recipes last week, cheese soufflé, because on my normal recipe day I was attending the Chicago Housewares Show.  The show was great, but as a result I will have to make the soufflé another time.  This week’s recipe is for a little shortbread called a sablé, and specifically cocoa sablés.   Flaky, tender and surprisingly chocolatey this is a recipe that I did not expect to enjoy that much, but I think it may become a staple.
I have always enjoyed shortread cookies.  When I was a kid I used to love even the ones from those tins of really bad butter cookies you see with Holiday themes on them around Christmas.  As I got older I started experimenting with different recipes for shortbread, and even found a great little terra cotta shortbread mold that I use from time to time to make my favorite, lemon shortbread.  Somehow the lemon provides just the right amount of lightness to offset the rich butteriness of the cookie.  I have made chocolate shortbread before, but I never cared for it…some how it was not rich enough.  I like my chocolate a little gooey, I guess.  Chocolate shortbread, and many chocolate cookies for that matter, always taste like something is missing to me.  Dorie’s cocoa sables provided the missing link!  I think the chopped semi-sweet chocolate is the trick.  I was impatient and did not wait until the butter was room temp, so my dough did not come together very well, and as you can see from the photo above my cookies were not that round, but they were delicious-and made a great ice cream sandwich.  Until next week, bon apétit!

6 comments:

  1. I hope the houswares show was fun - I also need to catch up on the soufflé. Really liked these cookies and the extra chocolate definitely gave it the oomph factor. Scrumptious sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As they say, a soufflé waits for no one so you had better get going! :) I was going to make an ice cream sandwich with mine but regrettably there weren't any left for that after just a few minutes. My kitchen gets staked out by gremlins when they see butter resting on the counter. Seeing yours..I realize now I should have saved some for that .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those ice cream sandwiches are tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankly, the housewares show would have trumped souffle making in my house :-)
    Ice cream + cookies = yes please...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What was your favorite booth at the Housewares show? Mine is always Kitchenaid and Le Creuset. So beautiful and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwwe I grew up on sablés, you took me back way back.. I probably need to get the recette from you:)

    ReplyDelete