Friday, February 10, 2012

French Fridays With Dorie: Nutella Tartine

I wanted to crawl on the plate and curl up
next to it...
Brioche, butter, Nutella, orange marmalade, hazelnuts.  Holy s**tballs was this good.  I mean, with a list of ingredients like this, how could you go wrong, but I was curious how the orange marmalade was going to work against the hazelnut flavor of the Nutella.  It was beautiful.  Angels descended, birds sang, it was better than "Cats". 

My lovely brioche loaf with the Nutella Tartine fixings
 Let's face it, this is less a recipe than assembly instructions.  So, to have something more to write about in this blog, as well as for an extra delicious version, I did make a loaf of brioche the day before. Fortunately we had made the bubble top brioche a few weeks ago, so I was familiar with the recipe and the time it would take.  I decided to forego the smaller loaves suggested in the "Bonne Idee", and bust out my 5x10 loaf pan to create a super sized brioche to get the larger slices suitable for this recipe and perhaps some yummy French toast down the road.  All I can say is "wow", what a beauty! 

The loaf was the perfect size for this recipe.  Even though I scoffed a bit at calling this a recipe, I did manage to screw it up.  I discovered that getting even a little bit of water from your double boiler in your Nutella as it is heating turns it into a hard, unmanageable mess, so the first batch of the lovely stuff had to be chucked amid much cursing and slamming of pots and pans.  (This was a morning, pre-caffeinated event, and therefore subject to crabbiness).  Round two came off without a hitch, however and those lovely brioche slices toasted up nicely under the broiler.   I think  next time I will use a toaster or toast both sides of the bread under the broiler to have a uniform texture.  Spread the marmalade, drizzle the Nutella and toss on some hazelnuts and you have a rich, decadent, delicious treat that is insanely easy to make,  and it looks rather impressive.

Wish I could say that I am looking forward to next week's recipe, however seafood is not my thing, so I may have to skip and post on something the group has already tried prior to my joining.  Regardless, I hope you all have a good week.  Bon apetit!

10 comments:

  1. You will love the brioche French toast! Loved reading about your impressions of the recipe - too funny! I wish I had made time to bake a loaf before this week's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a giant loaf of delicious bread! I toasted my bread in the little broiler toaster oven so it was crispy on both sides. I think I liked it better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always find nutella challenging to bake with; the only thing it ever worked in for me was bread pudding, so I'm not surprised to hear this tartine was wonderful. The marmalade sounds like an interesting touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night's Good Eats episode shed some light on the seizing up of the Nutella...apparently water and chocolate do not mix. Creates a chemical reaction that crystallizes the chocolate molecules. Who knew?

      Delete
  4. Brioche French toast, yum! I hope you find a plate that you can crawl on :-)
    If you don't like sea food, but you like fish, you culd substitute a pound of white fish cut into chunks and add it to the end of the cooking time. Just an option :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even really like fish, but that is a good suggestion. Perhaps if I made it myself at home I would enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. 5x10 loaf pan, that's huge! But definitely good size to get generous slices of tartine and french toast. Is it blasphemy to suggest using the microwave to warm up the Nutella? I just scooped what I need into a little glass jar and reheat at 15 second intervals until it's liquidy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not blasphemy at all! We moved our microwave to the garage, though because it took up too much space on the counter and we neer used it, so it is not super convenient to get to.

      Delete
  6. Don't you hate it when something so simple, and really just an assembly of ingredients takes longer than necessary. I don't mix with chocolate any better than water does!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admire your enthusiasm for this recipe. LOL! I, on the other hand, didn't really like it. Too much like fancy PB&J, which I don't like to begin with. I do like seafood, so look forward to next week's recipe. I guess that's what makes this group fun.

    ReplyDelete