Friday, January 20, 2012

French Fridays with Dorie-Quatre Quarts

Quatre quarts with homemade raspberry sauce and whipped cream

Light and surprisingly flavorful given its simplicity, quatre quart was this week's recipe for French Fridays with Dorie.  I chose to use Amaretto rather than cognac or rum for flavoring, and I am happy that I did.  The cake had that delicious almond flavor that was offset nicely by the raspberry sauce I made from some remnants of this past summer's berry crop.  Described as sort of a French version of pound cake, I was expecting a dense, rich cake, though the whipped egg whites seemed counter-intuitive to this way of thinking.   Drier and certainly lighter than pound cake, it's perfectly nice  but certainly lacks the wow-factor of the last several recipes in the series.  Definitely needs a saucy accompaniment.   My husband said it makes a great tea cake.   I did like the brown sugar baked in to the top of the cake,  It was a nice, textural addition. 

The top of the cake with the brown sugar baked in.  Yes, I used extra!

9 comments:

  1. Amaretto! [forehead slap] What a great idea! Grrr, why didn't I think of that? :) (And I'm just a tad jealous of your summer berries - I've already greedily gone through mine.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That raspberry sauce looks fantastic! I'm glad that the amaretto worked out great with the berry flavor. I sat this one out for now, but I'm happy to read the generally great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Great minds think alike! I like the idea of putting amaretto in the cake. I ate my cake with amaretto spiked whipped cream and mixed berry compote. It was a nice flavor combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice choice of liqueur! You got me thinking that if you want to play up the almond flavour, you can spinkle sliced almond on top of the cake in addition to brown sugar. Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake definitely is suited to all variations. Amaretto is a good one. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amaretto sounds great to flavor up this little cake. I used plain old vanilla, but I
    would like to experiment with some other flavors. Love the photo of cream and berry
    sauce. Tricia and I both enjoy this recipe and I know I will be visiting it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking that different liqueurs could be substituted for the rum. Amaretto is a good place to start. Glad it hear it came out well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amaretto - good choice! Dont' you love it when liqueur can dress up a simple dish and do double duty.... Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun that you made the raspberry sauce to go with this. That sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete