Friday, January 6, 2012

French Fridays with Dorie: Bubble Top Brioche

Bubble Top Brioche. 
(Custom tablecloth and bread cloth
by Jeanette Zebrowski)

French breads and pastries are a particular weakness of mine, so I was very happy to discover that Bubble Top Brioche was this week's recipe from French Fridays.  This was so fun and ultimately satisfying to make!  I love to bake, anyway, and this was one of the more challenging yeast bread recipes than I have tried.  I loved seeing the metamorphosis of the dough from raggedy looking, dry-as-a-desert ugliness to smooth-as-silk buttery richness.  Shaping the dough and watching the little loves rise was so gratifying.   Having the kitchen smell like a Parisian bakery was heaven, too.  These were delicious and beautiful.  I will definitely be making these again.  

  Brioche is an egg  and butter based bread that is generally eaten at breakfast.  As you can see from the photo below, the dough is divided in to small rounds, 3 of which go in to a muffin cup and become the delightful little bubble tops you see in the photo at left. 


Like Parker House Rolls, Bubble Top Brioche are made
up of 3 maller pieces of dough rolled in to balls and placed
in a muffin cup.
 To achieve the best texture the dough should be chilled overnight after a series of risings and deflations.  I think I may try freezing the dough in the little balls next time I make them so that I have a fancy breakfast treat that can be made ahead and still impress!  Absolutely perfect with a little butter and jam, I also tried some with a little bit of nutella and it was amazing.  Another fantastic and fun recipe. I am already looking forward to next week! 
Fresh from the oven...can't you just smell them?

14 comments:

  1. Welcome to the group and great looking brioche! Looks like your rolls came out perfectly. I too was curious about how it would work to freeze the prepped dough, because otherwise the timing on these seems a bit tricky for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the group and your brioches looks great. I have not tried the frozen dough yet..can't wait to try it though..hope the texture will be great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The brioche looks great. I'm curious how the freezing will turn out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely photo! Your brioche look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking that freezing in the small balls after the overnight rest would be the best option. I am going to then put them in the muffin tin to thaw and, hopefully, the yeast should reactivate and allow them to rise again, albeit in longer than an hour. I will let you know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome aboard.
    The beautiful thing about brioche dough is how well it takes to freezing. An overnight thaw in the refrigerator should do the trick...
    And Nutella makes EVERYthing better. It's axiomatic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I froze most of my rolls after baking - the idea of having the little dough balls ready for baking is intriguing. Nice meeting you, Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Scott! Love your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like your own kitchen smelling like a French bakery! Please let us know about the frozen dough balls. That sounds like an easy way for some amazing breakfasts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post - and very nice Brioche!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome! Great post - the pictures tell the story well and your rolls look like they turned out perfect. I love all the Doristas who mentioned using some Nutella on them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look gorgeous! Might have to break my diet and bake them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Just the picture makes me want to curl up with a good book, some tea, and those rolls. I can't imagine how yummy they smelled.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome to FFWD! Really enjoyed reading your post. It is a wonderful bread for anytime of day, and great that it can freeze so well for emergencies.

    ReplyDelete